DYNAMO

24 Jan 2016

Woman delivers conjoined twins in Enugu

 

Segun and Mary Ayeni, welcome the baby girls, Miracle and Testimony, on November 16, 2015, in Enugu. They are joined at the groin. They have separate genitals and legs. They are not sharing any
vital organs, according to the doctors. The couple had their first daughter, Marvellous, on November 19, 2013.

The twins have been transferred to the Intensive Care Unit of University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital and are visited by their mother every day. Segun noted that though they went for 5 ultrasounds, they were unprepared for the peculiar birth. He added that the true nature of the children’s condition was kept from him.

Mary said that though the nurses in the hospital are kind to her twins, she has been stigmatised by some hospital staff and neighbours. She said: “Because of illiteracy or not being exposed, some think that whenever anything (strange) happens, it is somebody that is behind it.

Some female workers that clean the hospital asked, ‘Why are you disturbing yourself?’ They told me to leave the kids and run away. But I can never leave them and run away because they are my blood. Some people that heard I had conjoined twins stopped greeting me.

Some wouldn’t even talk to me; some that used to come and collect things from me before now talk about me in jest. They laugh. But God will take all the glory.” Interestingly, the twins are very healthy. According to their father, they are in perfect condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment