DYNAMO

26 Jan 2015

Riquelme announces retirement from Football at age 36


Former Argentina international Juan Román Riquelme
has announced his retirement from football at the age
of 36.
The attacking midfielder made 51 appearances
for Argentina , scoring 17 goals.
Best known for his spells with Boca Juniors and
Villarreal, Riquelme also played for Barcelona and
Argentinos Juniors and had recently been linked to
clubs in both the MLS and Paraguay before Sunday
night’s announcement.
“I have decided to no longer play football,” he said.
“Now I am just a fan. I will go and suffer in the
stadium. I am very pleased with the career I had.
“I enjoyed football to the maximum. I hope the people
have enjoyed it alongside me. I tried to have a good
time. I tried to give everything I could to fans of Boca,
Argentina, Villarreal and Barcelona, in the youth teams
and the full team.
“I am someone who makes decisions calmly, who
thinks a lot. It’s clear now that I’ll be on holiday, I’ll
have fun, enjoy time with my children. From now on
my football life ends and a new life starts. Let’s see
what it holds.”
Riquelme made his professional debut in 1996 for Boca
Juniors at the age of 18 and almost exactly a year later,
he made his debut for Argentina against Colombia. He
appeared at only one World Cup in 2006, but captained
his country to Olympic gold in 2008.
Known for his long-range shooting, set-piece delivery
and dribbling skills, Riquelme won five league titles
with Boca over two spells and also helped the Buenos
Aires-based club to three Copa Libertadores
championships.

No comments:

Post a Comment