DYNAMO

7 Nov 2013

Why apologizing too much is bad for working women(Must Read)



This is interesting.I don't know if it would work in Nigeria..Found this on Daily mail

Ladies, if you’re a couple of minutes late for work, do you simply say sorry – or do you find yourself giving a long list of reasons because you feel so guilty?If it’s the latter, then apparently you’re a ‘sorry skirt’ – and it’s thwarting your chances of getting a promotion.Working women apologise too frequently and lack confidence  in their abilities, a report reveals today. It means they constantly say ‘sorry’ in situations where a man would never think to.
Ann Francke, chief executive of the Chartered Management Institute, said:



 ‘Take this example – a woman is late for a meeting.Young woman in office Rather than just sitting down and getting on with the meeting, they say:
 “I’m so sorry. I had to take the kids to school or the dog was sick.” They over-explain.A man would just say “Sorry  I’m late”, sit down and get on with it. It is a phenomenon known as being a “sorry skirt”.’ 
According to the report, women don’t think they need to publicise their achievements, while men will broadcast theirs.
It says:
‘Women sit there thinking the work I am doing is so great someone will come along and they’ll put a tiara on my head.At the next desk, a young man … has no embarrassment about jumping on his desk and saying to the boss: “Look at me. Aren’t I fabulous?”’

No comments:

Post a Comment