DYNAMO

12 Aug 2013

Mariah Carey: "We spit on me in a racist attack during my childhood"

Mariah Carey Jamie McCarthy / Getty Images
The character of Mariah Carey in The Butleris very familiar to the singer.
The pop icon spoke to Yahoo! Movies difficulties she experienced as a child growing up mixed race in Long Island, New York.
The star, 43, whose father is Venezuelan-born and African-American, and the mother of Irish origin, described a particular incident in her past she was the victim of a racist attack.
The singer and actress told the crowd during the press conference for the film a white person had spit on him when she was a child.
"It happened to me," she said, referring to a scene in the film recreates the Woolworth sit-in, where a black student was spat upon by a white woman.
The singer of "Beautiful #" added: "I knew that people would be shocked and would not want to believe it or accept it, but it happened That was the most profound thing to me in the. movie, because I know that she lived, and it happened to me on a bus too. It was a school bus, in the face, and in the same way. "
Mariah Carey, Nick Cannon Ben Gabbe / Getty Images
Carey has spoken openly in the past about his struggle to find his place in school when she was young, and prejudice it has suffered, being Métis.
Moreover, in an interview with Oprah Winfrey, Carey remembered a time in school when he was asked to draw, and kindergarten teachers mocked her for having drawn skin his father "the wrong color".
"I said". No, it's the color "They gave me the feeling that there was something wrong with me, it was something weird," she said to the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment