DYNAMO

13 Sept 2013

Mayweather writes off Alvarez


Floyd Mayweather © Action Images





Floyd Mayweather has written off Saul Alvarez as just "another stepping stone, another opponent" ahead of their super-welterweight title fight in Las Vegas on Saturday.
The five-division champion will put his unbeaten status on the line when he challenges the young Mexican for his WBC and WBA super-welterweight belts.
Mayweather said on Thursday he was ready for anything Alvarez may throw his way. "If the game plan is to keep pressure, I can handle it," Mayweather said during the final news conference for what could be the richest fight in history.
"If the game plan is to out-box me … nobody can out-box me. You have to be able to out-match me mentally, and I'm the strongest mental fighter in the sport. I've been here before, so I know what it takes.
"I'm at the pinnacle. I'm the face of boxing," said the American, who prides himself on his hand speed and movement around the ring.
Widely regarded as one of the best defensive fighters in history and renowned for his trash-talking, Mayweather has compiled a professional record of 44-0, with 26 knockouts.
"Career-wise, I'm OK, no matter what the outcome is," he said. "I never worry about the outcome. When I go into any fight, I'm not focused on the money or anything.
"I'm focused on going out there, performing well, and giving the fans what they want to see –excitement. That's what it's all about; it's about the fans winning.
"September 14 is just another stepping stone; another opponent to me. He knows he's facing Floyd Mayweather. I'm facing just another opponent."
Mayweather is guaranteed a record $41.5 million from the fight. The 23-year-old Alvarez will earn $12.5 million, by far the biggest payday of his career.

RECORD LIVE GATE
Billed as "The One," the heavily marketed bout has already produced a record live gate of $19.91 million and could approach record revenue from its pay-per-view buys.
"I can turn any fighter into a star," said Mayweather, who dominated fellow American Robert Guerrero with sublime defence and a steady parade of right hands in his most recent bout, in May, to retain his WBC welterweight championship.
"I don't worry about running out of opponents. I've got guys under my banner I can turn into stars and fight.
"It's about being entertaining. I feel if I didn't step up to the plate and speak my mind or be flashy and flamboyant, I probably wouldn't be in the position I am in right now. I think it's a gift."
MEXICAN INDEPENDENCE WEEKEND
For his part, Alvarez is excited about the prospect of becoming the first professional to beat Mayweather, especially because the fight will be held on Mexican Independence weekend.
"I don't care about his record," said the Guadalajara-born Alvarez, whose record is 42-0-1, with 30 knockouts. "I'm not coming to make a good fight; I'm coming to win.
"When you fight Floyd you have to be ready for every aspect. You have to be able to adjust mentally as well as physically. I have to be very, very smart and ready to change my plan at any time.
"I've studied him. I know his style and I know what he's going to do. I'm confident I will win because I know everything about him. I've prepared for everything."
Asked whether he felt the weight of pressure and expectation from his fans in Mexico, Alvarez replied: "There's no pressure whatsoever. It's motivating to have all of Mexico rooting for me.
"You'll see how I do it. You'll see how I beat him. I'm calm and I'm just ready to fight. I'm ready for the best Floyd possible."

No comments:

Post a Comment